Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Odds and Ends Around the Yard

In between work and rain, I've been trying to fill up the front bed.  It's a big space to fill but I'm slowly getting it filled in.  I've got several types of flowers that I'm starting from seed that will be added later.  This is my Coralbean showing off its vivid red spikes.  Other than the bloom the plant looks a little sickly.  The bush is a new transplant and hopefully it will look a little healthier as the season progresses.


The Japanese Maple has leafed out beautifully.  I really didn't know what to expect after the intense heat and drought of last summer.  It was the only thing planted in the bed prior to Texas becoming a furnace.

 


The two peach trees we planted right after we moved in last year had a rough time of the summer as well.  They both went into shock and lost their leaves after turning yellow.  Many prayers were said over these trees.  One succumbed to a boring insect of some sort and one survived.....barely.

I can't tell you how tickled and thankful I was to look out one day and see two small, lower branches that had leaves and a peach blossom on them.  The upper branches don't have a leaf on them.  I have been watching this little peach like a mother hen.  It is so adorable and here, it's only about 3/4" long.


Looks like we'll have tomatoes on the table soon!


96 of these little impatiens were planted.  Two days after they were in the ground I found them covered with black caterpillars eating through them, cutting them to the ground.  I used a dish washing soap, vinegar, salt spray on them and they acted like I just seasoned their meal.  I had to get the Sevin dust after them and now I'm waiting to see if they are going to survive.

I bought some red and white caladiums that will be planted right behind the impatiens.



Day Lilies that my sister pulled out of her OKC garden and brought to me.



The Cannas were gynormous last year.  Here they are cut back, ready to give us another spectacular show.


This is where the new canna growth will come up.

More to come soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment