Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Howard and Harriet House Finch Start a Family

This nest-in-progress I told you about last week is all finished now.  Harriet worked hard weaving her new little home out of fine grass, leaves, and rootlets. According to the Cornell Lab of Ornithology, she uses finer materials such as thread, wool, and feathers for the lining.
And Harriet is making sure it's occupied.



On the evening of Sunday the 31st she had laid one egg.  This isn't a very clear photo.  I guess I was a little excited about there being a tiny egg there and moved the camera a bit too much.

When I got home from work last night I walked past the fern on the front porch and craned my neck to see if Harriet or Howard was sitting in the nest.  Seeing that is was unoccupied I used the step ladder to peek into the nest; careful not to touch anything.



Now we have two.

I can't wait to see if there is a third this evening!

No comments:

Post a Comment