Saturday, April 13, 2013

Spring Cleaning 2013


It's been a busy March and April for me and I haven't spent the time I need to in the yard.  I have been( able to get out and do some cleaning, trimming and planting in the front bed. 



Lamb's Ear (Stachys byzantine) is not a baaaaad plant to have in the garden.  OK, that's pretty corny, sorry.  I love the thick, velvety leaves.  During a trip to Virginia one year Lovey and I toured the homestead of James Monroe, Ash Lawn-Highland.  It's not far from Thomas Jefferson's Monticello and is a much, much more modest farm.  The  most interesting thing I recall from that visit was their colonial herb garden.  They grew a large variety of herbs that had medicinal purposes.  They used the leaves of Lamb's Ear as a band aid, to stop the flow of blood on cuts.



I cut back the purple fountain grasses (Pennisetum setaceum 'Rubrum').  There is debate whether or not this will come back.  Most of what I read is that it is an annual but in warmer climates it comes back like a perennial.  If I don't see new growth by the time the weather decides to stay in the 80's I'll have to buy more.



The zebra grass (Miscanthus sinensis) is coming back after its little trim.



Behind these whispy volunteers of Mexican Feather grass (Nassella tenuissima) are the plants from whence they came.  I cut the older ones back then dug these two up and planted them at the back of the driveway.  There are actually tons of these new plants throughout the garden and I'll transplant those as well when they grow to a certain size.



The muhly grass (Muhlenbergia capillaris) received a trim as well.



 The Threadleaf Japanese Maple (Acer palmatum var. dissectum ) is returning to its pretty little self.



My two Red Yuccas (Hesperaloe parviflora) are donning their flower spikes for the first time.  I bought these as very young plants at a plant sale so it has taken them a couple of years to flower.

Finally, an update on the Finch family.  5 eggs seems to be the final number in the clutch.  Momma is sitting on the nest.  I checked the nest yesterday evening and none have hatched yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment