Monday, October 6, 2014

Butterflies - The Monarch

One of the pleasantries I have while working in the garden are beautiful visitors like this one.

He kept me company all morning.


I love butterflies but the Monarch has always held a special place in my heart.  Ever since I was in elementary school.


When I was growing up in Tulsa, OK and in the fourth grade I was walking to Paul Revere School on a cool Autumn morning with my sister Melody and her friend (probably Molly).  They had recently decided that it was cool to not wear anklets with their shoes and I'm sure became fashion trend setters.  I on the other hand loved my anklets and was not about to leave them behind.  Being the mean big sister that she was at the time, Melody made me walk at least 10 paces behind them.

I was OK with that; I could entertain myself.  We were walking north on Atlanta Place, one street over from ours.  Atlanta was lined with huge old trees.  Out of nowhere hundreds and hundreds of Monarchs are flying strait toward me.  I stopped, put my head back and my arms thrown up as to welcome them and laughed and laughed.  It was the most awesome thing I had ever seen and felt.  They went all around me and some would land just for a nano second.  Then they were gone.  It was magical and I've never forgotten it.

No comments:

Post a Comment